Caregiver & Home Support Worker Programs

Caregiver & Home Support Worker Programs

Canada offers caregiver and home support worker programs to address labor needs and provide pathways to permanent residency, these programs are designed to address the need for caregivers in the country and provide a pathway for these workers to become permanent residents.

1. Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot: These are 5-year pilot programs that allow qualified caregivers and their family members to come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents. If you have been offered a job in Canada as a caregiver or have experience working in Canada as a caregiver, you may be able to apply for permanent residence through one of these pilots. The application process varies depending on your situation and how much qualifying work experience you have.

2. In-Home Caregiver Program: This program allows families to hire a foreign caregiver to provide care, in a private residence, to children, seniors, or persons with certified medical needs, when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.

3. Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP): Under this program, families in Canada can hire foreign workers to work as caregivers. The caregivers must provide care on a full-time basis (minimum 30 hours per week), work in the private household where the care is being provided, and meet the requirements set by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Each of these programs has its own eligibility criteria and application process. For example, for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot, applicants must demonstrate that they have obtained a total of at least 12 months of eligible full-time work experience in Canada in the 36 months before the date of their application.

In 2023, changes were made to the application process for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilots. Applicants now need to apply online through the Permanent Residence Portal.

1. Valid Job Offer: You must have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

2. Admissibility to Canada: This means that you have no criminal record or will put unnecessary pressure on Canada’s healthcare system due to a medical condition. You can demonstrate this through a medical or police clearance certificate.

3. Work Experience: As part of the changes in 2023, you now need only 12 months of qualifying work experience instead of 24 months.

4. Education: Some secondary school education is usually required. College or other courses in home support may be required.

5. First Aid Certification: First aid certification may be required.

6. Training: Completion of a training program in care of the elderly, care of persons with disabilities, convalescent care, or in a related field may be required.

Please note that these are general requirements and specific requirements may vary based on the individual pilot program and the category you are applying to. It’s always best to check the latest information on the official website.

It’s important for potential applicants to thoroughly research each program to determine which one is the best fit for their specific situation.









Featured in
Professional Affiliations
Scroll to Top